29 V.I.C. § 502 - The erection or maintenance of any advertising device upon any publicly owned and controlled street, sidewalk, park or other real property, or the erection and maintenance of any such device located within fifty (50) feet from the center line of any public highway in the Virgin Islands, whether on public or private property, without a written permit therefore granted by the Commissioner of Public Works is prohibited.
- Advertising device permits are granted for a six-month period.
- The advertising device permit must be approved prior to the installation of said device(s).
- Advertising devices cannot be placed within 10 feet from the outer edge of any highway.
- Advertising devices must not block motorists’ visibility of traffic signs, informational signs, the roadway, or other devices at designated locations.
- All advertising devices must be no larger than 4 feet x 4 feet.
- All advertising devices must be affixed to post(s) and securely erected in the ground.
- Advertising devices cannot be attached to, or placed on, any of the following: traffic signs, traffic signals, utility poles, highway medians, trees, walls, government buildings, curbs, or guardrails.
- Advertisers must properly maintain their devices throughout the duration of its installation.
- Advertisers are responsible for the installation and removal of devices in a timely manner.
- Advertisers can select up to 10 sites, per district, from the designated locations list.
- The department has imposed a limit on the number of signs placed at each location; device permits will be approved on a first come, first serve basis.
- Please include a photo of the advertisement with your permit application submittal.
PERMIT FEE STRUCTURE
$20 per notice
Must not exceed 12 inches x 12 inches
$75 per sign
Must not exceed 12 inches x 18 inches
$50 per poster
Must not exceed 2 feet x 3 feet
$100 per billboard
Larger than 2 feet x 3 feet
$100 per billboard
$25 per advertising device
- PAYMENT IS DUE UPON NOTIFICATION OF PERMIT APPROVAL.
- THE DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADVERTISING DEVICE OR IMPOSE A MAXIMUM FINE OF $50.00 PER DAY, PER DEVICE FOR ANY REGULATION VIOLATION.
- FUTURE ADVERTISING DEVICE PERMITTING CAN ALSO BE AFFECTED FOR FLAGRANT VIOLATORS.